Sunday 24 February 2013

Travel | Kaohsiung, Taiwan

The lunar calendar has come to the time of mid-lantern festival, and everywhere in Taiwan is already up with, well, lots of pretty lanterns. Pikachu and hello kitty and the likes of other fluffy animals.

It is an interesting coincidence that meanwhile, miles away in Melbourne, there was a white night going on. According to my friends back home, apparently white night is the night where 'a lot of shiet stays open all night.' Why, really? I hope melbourne has a white night every month, perhaps daily, because that's the way it should be. Finally there are things to do after the clock ticks 5pm.

Unfortunately, I was never there to witness the white night. It's weird because I remember being in Melbourne during this time over the past 4 years, and this is the year it chose to happen? As bummed as I am for missing out on the carnival and fairy lights, thankfully I have the lanterns and fireworks in Asialand for comfort.

I was in Kaohsiung yesterday during the night lantern carnival, but due to the flood of people, I wasn't able to even take a single shot of the huge lanterns.

I did get to capture a few small things in the day though, together with the fireworks at night. Kaohsiung is a beautiful place, a combination of the new and the old, modernity and conservation. I especially enjoyed the traditional part of the city because staying in the urbanised Taipei, it made me miss the old things which have a depth of warmth and history beneath them so much. I guess this is one reason why I adore Melbourne. The nostalgia.

















No comments:

Post a Comment